CHRONICLING THE DAILY LIVES OF FOUR CUTE BOYS, THEIR FATHER, AND A MOTHER TRYING TO SURVIVE IT ALL WITH A LITTLE BIT OF SANITY LEFT.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I failed.

Aiden had a field trip to the local park this morning near the school that I had signed up to chaperon a couple weeks back. Let me just state for the record that no where on the paper was it written that we would be walking to this park or that we would be outside for four hours, including a walk there and back. Yesterday, I received another paper stating these facts and a reminder to pack a lunch. I immediately wanted to cancel when I read that but the field trip was the next morning, and I didn't want to put anyone out or have a couple children left without a chaperon. So, I woke up this morning and very slowly got myself ready, begrudgingly. I mean, I'm five months pregnant, it was 88 degrees outside with a humidity level of 68% in the middle the day. When I finally made it to the school this morning, Aiden was happy to see me and I told myself I had to do this. That was the talk I gave myself on the sofa before I left the house, "Andrea, you have to do this. It is your job as a parent to chaperon these events and you must follow through." Really, I had this talk in my head. So I did my best to hang in there, from 9:30 to 1:30. Well, noon came and that was it. I had drank all my water, I was HOT, and Aiden wanted to leave thirty minutes into being there.

Another hour and a half seemed like pure torture and I couldn't bare the thought of it. I asked the one teacher who drove if I could leave, and if she would drive me back to the school. My stomach was crampy and I was done. She agreed and I bid Aiden farewell. He couldn't leave with me and I think he was fine with that. I did promise to check him out as soon as they all arrived back at school. I got home and drank like a fish. I was so happy to be back in the a/c and my thoughts were with those still stuck out there. Today, I officially failed in my parental role as a field trip chaperon. But, as another mom said, Maria, it was more like a field trip to the sun than a day at the park.
Aiden, please forgive mommy.

No comments: