CHRONICLING THE DAILY LIVES OF FOUR CUTE BOYS, THEIR FATHER, AND A MOTHER TRYING TO SURVIVE IT ALL WITH A LITTLE BIT OF SANITY LEFT.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cullen's father

I married him ten years ago today. Now we aren't celebrating any anniversaries or anything over here, as we are Divorced with a capital D. The reason I remember this date (I assume) is because it is the day before mine and Jude's anniversary. Yes, I married EPT on June 4, 1999 and JJD on June 5, 2004. It just happened that way! So anyway, I thought it would be neat to rip out some old photos and share a few stories with Cullen. He is very interested in his previous life, as he should be. The boy can't remember before the age of five. As we were looking through photos, we came upon one of me with a terrible short hairstyle. Cullen says "Wait, wait, go back. Is THAT you?". Happily, I reply, "Yes, it is" as I am a few pounds lighter in it. Cullen replies "No wonder my dad left you. Look at your HAIR". Nice! And just for the record, that's not what happened, E.T. leaving. As far as Cullen knows, it was a mutual decision.
I always tell Cullen his dad and I didn't agree on anything anymore and it was time to part ways. If I said it was black, E.T. would say it was white. If E.T. said it was cold, I'd say it was hot. Etc, etc. We make great business partners raising a child together! We just hated being married to each other. The best advice I got after the separation was to treat this (raising Cullen) as a business. No emotions in it. If the conversation would start to turn ugly, I would simply say "I have to go. We can talk about this when we have calmed down". If (and when) he would try and insult me, I would say "I'm sorry, I am not your wife anymore. I am Jude's girlfriend and you can not talk to Jude's girlfriend that way". I know there is no easy recipe in these things, but we do run a good business raising Cullen together.
October 2000

No comments: