CHRONICLING THE DAILY LIVES OF FOUR CUTE BOYS, THEIR FATHER, AND A MOTHER TRYING TO SURVIVE IT ALL WITH A LITTLE BIT OF SANITY LEFT.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dinner with a three year old tyrant

Roman does not eat dinner. Ever! He barely eats lunch. He just pushes his plate away and snubs his nose. We have tried many different routes, but so far, none have worked. We have plenty of issues trying to feed this child and have limited snacks to bread, crackers, fruit snacks, fruit, granola bars, etc. Meaning, he doesn't walk around eating Ding Dong's, cookies, and chocolate all day. He is stubborn times a hundred. Tonight, I tried to get him to taste a green bean and although I know I shouldn't have used bribery, I wanted to see how far this would go and took out my iphone to record it. We were all done eating dinner.



Some of the things he says in the video (I had to cut the first few seconds to be able to download it to here):
"Daddy gonna eat the bean, Daddy eat the bean!"
"I don't want to get a snoball."
"I not getting snoball."
"I can't...I going in the corner."
That's Aiden laughing at the end.

It does not matter if it is a green bean, mac and cheese, or a cracker he does not want. This is the response to food put in front of him.
Now, let me just state for the record, besides putting him in his room at dinner when he refuses to eat with us, we have NEVER put him in the corner. He punishes himself these days.
I love him so much, bad attitude and all. This is an every night occurrence. No need to wonder why I read all the parenting books!

1 comment:

Stitches In Cotton said...

I know him not eating is harder on you than it is him. He doesn't look like he's starving.
I have had problems with Jonny not wanting to eat, and you know with my boys allergies it's either eat what you are given or you just don't eat. I've had to resort to the if you don't eat it at the meal we are having you will eat it every meal till it's gone. Sometimes it takes 2 - 3 meals before it's gone.
I feel bad sometimes, but I have no other choice our food is expensive and it's not like I can whip something out if he doesn't like what I cooked.
I hope it gets better for you.